Update: HMRC pause some R&D tax claims
HMRC previously notified agents that they have paused some R&D tax relief payments while they investigate an increase in irregular claims. Their investigations are continuing, but an update is now available.
To prevent abuse of the relief, HMRC will be enhancing their extensive compliance checks. These additional checks will mean their standard processing times will increase.
For the vast majority of claims, HMRC has said it will aim to either pay the payable tax credit or contact you regarding the claim within 40 days. It aims to return to their standard 28 day processing times as soon as possible. Gov.uk guidance will be updated shortly.
HMRC wanted to share this update to notify legitimate claimants that their RDTC payments will take longer to be processed.
It has said it appreciates agents’ and claimants’ patience while we handle these claims and continue to offer the guidance below:
- To help process your R&D payment quickly, please ensure you have completed all entries on the R&D section of your Corporation Tax return (CT600 form).
- Submitting additional information to support the claim, such as the R&D report will help HMRC process the claim quicker.
- Review the latest guidance on completing your CT600 form on GOV.UK
- If you submit a claim that is incorrect, inflated or fraudulent then you may be liable to a penalty. Read HMRC: standards for agents
HMRC asks R&D claimants to bear with them and kindly not to contact the R&D helpline/mailbox to chase their claims.
We will continue to share updates when we have further information.
- Submitting R&D tax claims since 2001
- 100% success rate
- Over £100m claimed and counting
- Industry leading specialists
- In-house technical, costing and tax experts
- Member of the Research and Development Consultative (RDCC) committee
Meet some of the team behind Tax Cloud